If you are an author who is thinking of launching a podcast … if you are an author who has started a podcast and is struggling to keep it afloat … if you are an author on the brink of “podfading” and losing the hard-won benefits you can gain from this popular and intimate format -- then this book is for you.
Matty Dalrymple, The Indy Author, shares her learnings from her years hosting and producing The Indy Author Podcast. Tapping nautical metaphors to explore the stages of creating a podcast, THE INDY AUTHOR'S GUIDE TO PODCASTING FOR AUTHORS will guide you through determining your destination, preparing for your voyage, and setting sail. Matty discusses the benefits podcasting offers to authors specifically, and the specific challenges authors might need to overcome to succeed in this medium.
Questions posed at the end of each chapter prompt insights to be captured in your own Captain's Log, enabling you to note progress, acknowledge mistakes, and celebrate successes on your voyage.
This is not merely a manual of technical requirements, although those are covered at a high level in the book and in more detail at The Indy Author website. This is a foundational resource you can pick up again and again, one that will serve as your guide as you steer your podcast through its voyage and, when a course correction is needed, will provide the strategies and tactics you need to adjust your bearing.
"If you're an author considering using podcasting as a means to promote your work or to network with other writers, don't do another thing until you read this book. As an author and longtime podcaster myself, I found Matty Dalrymple's book a vital resource. It's a detailed look at what works, what doesn't, how to get started, and how to keep your show fresh. Written in a breezy, conversational tone, it's chock full of Dalrymple's beloved nautical metaphors and references. Readers will learn ways to be a better host, producer, and guest--whether you're an experienced admiral or brand-new midshipman to the craft. This book should be on every author/podcaster's shelf. Chart your course--get this book!"
The Podcasting Voyage
• Why Podcasting ... and Why for Authors?
Determining Your Destination
• Determining Your Destination - Introduction
• Establishing Connections with Guests
• Building Community with Listeners
• Creating Direct Income with Your Podcast
• Creating Indirect Income with Your Podcast
Preparing for Your Voyage
• Preparing for the Voyage - Introduction
• Choosing Your Topic
• Choosing Your Format
• Choosing Your Mode, Medium, and Venue
• Choosing Your Deliverables
• Choosing Your Schedule
• Choosing Your Episode Structure
• Choosing Your Persona
• Choosing Your Livery (a.k.a. Branding)
• Choosing the Tech
• Setting Sail - Introduction
• Lining up Guests
• Preparing for the Episode
• Creating the Environment
• Refining Your Audio and Video Presence
• Creating the Episode
• Making the Most of Your Content
• Making It Interactive
• Reducing Friction (Improving Your Production Process)
• Being a Podcast Guest
Embarking on the Voyage
• Embarking of the Voyage - Last Thoughts
I chat with Angela J. Ford and Stephanie BwaBwa on the Indie Author Lifestyle podcast about How to Start and Grow a Podcast for Indie Authors as well as about opportunities for authors to create income and connect with readers using short fiction.
I had so much fun talking with Rob Archangel of Archangel Ink about Creating a Podcast to Build an Identity as an Author. We discuss all things podcasting for authors including:
- Why should authors consider podcasting?
- The advantages of podcasting as a medium
- Type of personality a person should have in order to be successful at podcasting
- Who would be good podcasting candidates?
- Setting a goal and planning for podcasting
- Determining the content of a podcast and mapping out content for the long-term
- Equipment and software needed to start out a podcast
- Barriers that authors experience when starting out podcasts
Check out this conversation I had with Dale L. Roberts about Podcast For Writers: How to Start a Podcast for Beginners.
You've seen podcasting become HUGE over the past few years, but you're wondering - is there room to podcast for writers? Absolutely! Find out how to start a podcast for beginners. And, discover what you'll need to do to start your way to being the best writing podcasts today. Special guest Matty Dalrymple shares her experience with The Indy Author podcast. Find out the do's and don'ts, the essentials and inessentials and more in this exclusive interview. --Dale L. Roberts, Self-Publishing with Dale
|File Size:||27 kb|
|File Size:||20 kb|
Have you found this resource useful? Wish you could buy Matty Dalrymple, The Indy Author, a cup of coffee? Now, thanks to Buy Me a Coffee and PayPal you can!
Are you a writer, author, or publisher with an indy mindset? Sign up for email updates that explore the writing craft and the publishing voyage from Matty Dalrymple, The Indy Author.